Monday, February 19, 2024

The Hurricane Girls

by Kimberly Willis Holt

Libby audiobook 6 hours

Read by: Aricka Parent

Published: 2023

Genre: YA coming-of-age "historical" fiction


When I initially got this book, it was because I like this author. I put hist fic in quotation marks because that was the designated genre I was searching for in Libby. The book, however, is set in 2017 which is twelve years after the 2005 storm Hurricane Katrina. That doesn't feel very historical to me!


The three girls Greer, Joya Mia (pronounced "hoy-ah mee-ah"), and Kiki (who didn't like the name Katrina) were all born "in the wake" of the hurricane. After doing a report on the hurricane in sixth grade, the three girls became fast friends. Now they are seventh graders and a lot has changed for them.


I thought the book was a little too middle school girl vibe for me. Well, duh. That's the target audience! But as the story went on, I was so impressed by the author's gifts in weaving so many themes without overwhelming the core story of their friendship.


Training for a marathon, being a loving sister, getting your period, not giving up, babysitting, modeling, saving for goals, Old Rusty (bicycle), grief, . . . there is a lot to this story. The audio was well done.

No comments: