Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Acting Can Be Murder

Como Lake Players Mystery book 1

by John Gaspard

Libby audiobook 5 hours

Read by Margaret Mikkelsen

Published: 2022

Genre: murder mystery

 

This was quirky and mostly enjoyable. I didn't love the reader's voice; she almost sounded bored. But I loved all the local references! Set in the Twin Cities, Leah Sexton has taken on management of a community theatre housed in an old church. She left NYC and her unfaithful (but gorgeous) boyfriend Dylan. While interviewing directors, an actual dead body is found in the window seat on the set of Arsenic and Old Lace.

 

Well. I played one of the old aunts in a production of Arsenic back in the 1980s! I love that show and my attention was grabbed. I did NOT figure out the murderer, though (until the murderer was actually unveiled). 

 

The dead body belonged to a very critical theatre critic. Then the actresses portraying Aunt Abby was pushed (or fell?) down the stairs, breaking several bones. Then Leah got death threats. 

 

The part that bugged me most was the notion of undercover police officers showing up to protect Leah due to the death threats. I wrote on a scratch pad in my car (where I listen to most of my audiobooks while I'm driving) "not likely."  Police officers are too busy to "cover" everyone who's been threatened and may be in trouble.


Ultimately, I found the story very interesting and plan to recommend it to my daughter-in-law who stage manages and directs local shows. I think she'll like it.

No comments: