Sunday, February 04, 2024

Mentor: The Kid & The CEO

subtitle: A Simple Story of Overcoming Challenges and Achieving Significance

by Tom Pace with Walter Jenkins

paperback 175 pages

Published: 2007

Genre: motivational


This was donated to a middle school I worked at over fifteen years ago. It sat in a pile at my house and so I decided to read it (finally). It isn't really middle school level . . . though I thought about which readers might benefit from it.


The basic premise is that a dumb entitled teen gets in trouble with the law and ends up in prison on a felony conviction. A motivational mentor offers a weekly class and the teen eventually goes just to get out of his cell. Over the weeks and months, his life is transformed.


Overall, this is a fairly cheesy simplistic book but it is definitely a positive and encouraging one. Two big themes from this mentor are to read and to run. It also touches on the reality of how hard life can be for ex-cons who are trying to turn their lives around after leaving prison. And of course, there is a huge emphasis on finding a mentor and / or being a mentor.


One thing I liked were the very faint phrases on the bottom of every page. "Dream big." "Share hope." "Be loyal." "Concentrate." I almost got out my highlighter to make them more prominent, but I knew I wasn't planning to keep this book. I'm trying to decide if I will drop it off at a Little Free Library, a jail, or a high school.

No comments: