Saturday, January 27, 2024

The Duke and I

by Julia Quinn

Libby audiobook 12 hours

Read by: Rosalyn Landor

Published: 2016

Genre: historical romance fiction


I have seen ads for the show Bridgerton, but never watched it. When I saw that this audiobook was available and had "Bridgerton" about the title, I was curious. I listened to the entire thing and here's my reaction.


It's basically just a romance / lust story set in the Regency era. Quinn does a nicer job of storytelling than many other Harlequin-style authors, but the main draw is the sexual attraction between the Duke of Hastings and Daphne Bridgerton.


My favorite aspects:

  • Simon's childhood and overcoming his speech problems
  • the Bridgerton brothers and that dynamic
  • the alpha order of the Bridgerton children
  • Violet, the Bridgerton matriarch. What a hoot! Especially her "night before the wedding" talk with poor Daphne

 

Overall, though, I don't feel a need to read any more of the books or watch the show.

No comments: