Saturday, January 27, 2024

Beyond the Bright Sea

by Lauren Wolk

Hennepin County hardcover 283 pages plus author's note and acknowledgements

Published: 2017

Genre: Children's historical fiction

 

I borrowed this for a sixth grade student who wanted to read it (after she enjoyed the author's book Wolf Hollow so much). Of course, I needed to read it myself before returning it to the library. It was enjoyable and unpredictable. Little Crow was set adrift in a small boat as an infant. Osh rescued her and raised her on one of the Elizabeth Islands. 


This book made me interested in Cuttyhunk, Penikese, and other islands. I have already read quite a bit about Hansen's disease (leprosy) and wasn't surprised by people's attitudes (especially in the 1920s). I love books that made me think and wonder. I was surprised that we didn't learn more about Osh's past by the end of the book! 


Page 6: "I wanted to know why there were pearls tucked inside some of the Cuttyhunk oysters but not others. I wanted to know how the moon could drag the ocean in and out from such a distance, when it couldn't stir the milk in Miss Maggie's tea. But I needed to know, among other things, why so many of the Cuttyhunk Islanders stayed away from me, as if they were afraid, when I was smaller than any of them."


Crow is such a lovely protagonist. I love this distinction between wanting to know and needing to know. I also love the language choices.


Page 34: "I read a dozen new books, like The Secret Garden and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - books that rang bells in my heart - and I devoted myself to my lessons with Miss Maggie, who taught me things like why salt water boiled faster than fresh."


First of all, the "books that rang bells in my heart" is simply beautiful! Secondly, why does salt water boil faster than fresh?


Page 82: "the 8th of June, 1925 . . . Carville, Louisiana"


Until the signature on this letter from a doctor, I didn't realize the time period. Interesting, but not enough to make me go back and see if I should have picked up on the time period earlier!


Page 91: "The chickens liked me, as long as I didn't bring Mouse along."


This made me laugh! Mouse is the name of her cat. I'm quite sure the chickens wouldn't like a cat to come along with young Crow. 


Page 113 - I was so surprised when Crow rescued Mr. Sloan, and a bit worried at what he might do to her. The danger element in this book was high enough to make it very captivating, especially later when Mr. Kendall is after them.


Page 137: "'Things are usually better when you don't mess with them too much,' he said."


Osh is wise and he imparts his wisdom to Crow whether she's aware of it or not. Beyond the simple meal they're having, he's referring to her getting involved in what happened to her family before she came to him on the sea.


Page 165: "'I suspect they pay attention to what they know.' As he had told me I should."


Again, Osh is teaching Crow. They're talking about baby birds learning to fly. And about Crow.


Page 166: "The breeze curtsied as it passed by.

A chimney swift sketched a curlicue overhead.

If there had been music, it might have been too much to bear."


Osh, Miss Maggie, and Crow are eating a meal together. This book is filled with lovely language as well as a wonderful mystery and adventure story. I was a bit surprised that the ending didn't tie up all the loose ends, but glad that it wasn't just a pat, predictable story.


No comments: