Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The Awe of God: The Astounding Way a Healthy Fear of God Transforms Your Life

by John Bevere

Hennepin County Library hardcover 279 pages + notes

Published: 2023

Genre: Non-fiction Christian faith


I didn't realize this was just published this year . . . until now. There's a LONG waiting list for it and I'm six days over my return date. (Last week was super busy and then we went to the lake.) I will return it today and request it again because it is so good! I thought about buying a copy, but I'm trying really hard to spend less money and have fewer possessions. 


It is written in such a way that it could be used as a six week (42 day) devotional. He has at the end of each day a "Making it Personal" section with a Scripture passage, a main point, questions to ponder, a prayer, and a statement of profession. (I love the alliteration! Passage, Point, Ponder, Prayer, Profession.)


Page 11: "I realized that morning the pastor had confused the 'spirit of fear' with the 'fear of the Lord.' There is a huge difference, . . . "


Yes! As a child, I heard the refrain, "God will get you for that!" We were taught to be AFRAID of God, and in my child's mind I just wanted to avoid Him. He was scary. The fear of the Lord is so very different from being afraid. I'm so glad that I've learned to have a healthy awe and respect for the Lord!


Page 48 (Your Value): "Once again, we see a differentiation of holy fear and unholy fear. I cannot stress enough that holy fear does not mean being scared of God and consequently withdrawing from Him, but unholy fear does. It's imperative that we know the difference and are established in this truth."


Obviously, I'm not the only person who has struggled with this. As I am revisiting this book, I remember why I thought about buying my own copy. I may have to buy it yet . . . And I concur with his recommendation to use a journal with the daily readings.


Also on page 48, I wonder if I could get a job as a proofreader. "The two will be a significant part our discussion moving forward . . . " I read that sentence at least four times, my brain filling in the word "of" between "part" and "our." Ugh.


I am on week 2 day 4 "Fear and Trembling." Ironic, huh? After I get this book again, I will try to be more diligent in reading it daily and returning it on time!


<Above posted 1.16.24. Below added 2.13.24. More to come later . . . >


The "ironic" above was having had the book for 27 days (21 day checkout and 6 days late) and only getting to entry #11!!! I've been more diligent this time around, but I have finally put it on my Wish List. If no one buys it for me, I'll cycle back to getting it from the library again when it's not so new.


It is worth owning, though. So many Christian books make me think, "I can just read my Bible! That's where the knowledge comes from - the Word of God." But some help guide and direct my thoughts and prayers. This is one of those books. I'm really enjoying the time drawing into God's Word. I love his "Making It Personal" at the end of each section. (And yes, I love the alliteration of Passage / Point / Ponder / Prayer / Profession, but that's only a small part of it!)


Page 105 (Depart from Evil): "I loved Jesus, but I didn't fear God." 


Bevere is talking with a jailed evangelist who repented of his sinfulness. This is in answer to Bevere's question, "You committed adultery seven years before you were prosecuted for the mail fraud that ultimately put you in this penitentiary. How can you tell me you loved Jesus those seven years?"


This reminded me of Pastor Jamie talking about "Mush God" - some people's perception that "God is love" means whatever people want it to mean and there are no limits.


Page 160 (A Good Pain): "Peter instructs us to arm ourselves. Can you imagine a military going to war without any planes, ships, tanks, guns, bullets, knives - unarmed? Just the thought of it seems ludicrous. In the same way, it's just as crazy for a believer to be unprepared to suffer, yet many are. An unarmed believer can easily bypass hardship for the sake of self-preservation. The fear of the Lord is what arms us; it maintains a deep resolve in our will to obey God no matter what suffering it may entail."


I don't love the military / war analogy, but it makes sense. It's too easy in American Christianity to want everything to be pleasant. That's not what God's Word tells us! Following Him is a sacrifice and we WILL have troubles. Trusting Him is what gets us through the hard times.


Page 167 (It Is Finished): "Likewise, most would affirm he did well by completing 99.99 percent of the assignment, but very few would classify his actions as rebellion. If we were in Saul's shoes and received this correction, how many of us would protest, 'Come on, be reasonable! Why are you so focused on the little I didn't do, instead of acknowledging all that I accomplished?' In light of this, it's safe to conclude this truth: almost complete obedience isn't obedience at all."


Ouch. This hit me. I'm pretty quick to rationalize and celebrate what I DID get done, rather than asking God what HE wants me to do. I really need to work on seeking His will, listening, and obeying. 

 

I need to get this back to the library (again). I'm on week 5 day 1. Week 5 is "Intimacy with God." Week 6 is "The Treasure's Benefits." Six weeks x seven days = 42 day devotional. Seriously, I should just buy this!



No comments: