Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A Perfect Mistake

by Melanie Conklin

Libby audiobook 6 hours

Read by: Christopher Gebauer

Published: 2022

Genre: YA realistic fiction

 

I listened to this while at work yesterday. It was okay. Something happened to cause Will to be in a coma. Max is struggling to figure out what really happened when he, Will, and Joey, followed some older boys into the woods in the middle of the night.

 

There were things I liked about this book, but it wasn't overwhelmingly fabulous. The perspective of a kid with ADHD and how he tries to  manage his life was interesting. (I love the idea of OHIO - Only Handle It Once. You could also call this "do it now.")


I liked his relationship with his uncle and the woodworking. I liked Sam (the girl in his class) and how they worked as a team to figure things out.


It was interesting that part of the story dealt with people's perceptions of Max, who was almost six feet tall as an 11 year old sixth grader. There were a lot of perception themes running through this.


The mystery wasn't what I expected. It was okay, but not great.

No comments: