Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Not If I Save You First

by Ally Carter

Libby Audiobook 7 hours

Read by: Brittany Pressley

Published: 2018

Genre: YA mystery



This started out well, but was incredibly cringe-worthy by the end. Maddie is the daughter of the head of Secret Service. Logan is the President's son. They are best friends until Russian bad guys try to kidnap Logan's mom and Maddie's dad is shot. Maddie and her dad head to the Alaskan wilderness with no internet connection and minimal human contact for six years. 


I liked the letters from Maddie to Logan. They really helped set the scene for her changing personality and alienation from her best friend. Him going off the rails as a teenager and trying to get away from the Secret Service protection was believable.


When the story veered off into the teenage angst of longing and shallow insecurity, I was already curious to see how the story would turn out, so I listened to the end.


It wasn't very realistic to see the change in the character of Stefan, but I ended up liking him. I liked Maddie when she was tough Alaskan survival girl, but was irritated when she fretted about her hair. How interesting that I liked Carter's story for younger readers (The Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor) better than this one for older readers!

No comments: