Thursday, December 29, 2022

Becoming Muhammad Ali (a novel)

by James Patterson and Kwame Alexander

Scott County Library hardcover 308 pages

Published: 2020

Genre: YA historical fiction

Maud Hart Lovelace nominee 2022-23

 

Based on Cassius Clay's childhood and youth, the book alternates between Patterson's prose as best friend "Lucky" and Alexander's prose poetry as Ali. I was disappointed to go online after reading the book to find that this best friend was not one real person, but rather a fictional construct. Too bad, because that character served to show a better side of Ali than what I knew of him already.

 

 In the poem "Early Christmas" on page 120, I love how the surprise gift of a brand new Schwinn bicycle was set up. What a delightful gift for a youngster!


Then on page 152, the bad news happens. It reminded me rather forcefully of what I felt when Nick called me after his first night at the U of Minnesota. Ick when bad things are done to people . . . 


Page 168 - "I don't know what made him think that in a million years a black man could ever be president. In most places around where we lived, black people could hardly even vote!"


There were lots and lots of references to racism and social justice but they were not preachy or judgemental. They were just part of the consciousness of the character as he grew up seeing so much discrimination all around him.


Page 181 - 

"Boy, don't you dare blaspheme the Good Book. 

I'm just saying, I don't need church to tell me what I already know. 

What you know and what you think you know is two different things."


I love how Ali's mom stood firm on her faith and tried to get the young boxer to understand.


Page 232 - "Not many people could make Cassius Clay feel humble. But his mother did. Every day."


I'm not curious enough to do more research, but IF Ali did go with his mom to her job as a domestic and help her clean all day, that would be amazing. It is very effective in terms of the storytelling of this book.


This is another of those "liked, didn't love" books. It is a quick read and even a worthwhile read. I'm not sure how much is fact and how much is fiction.

No comments: