Wednesday, January 04, 2023

The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People

by John Ortberg 

my personal copy, paperback, 222 plus extra material

Published: 1997

Genre: Christian Living


I was looking through my bookshelf for books to donate to Recovery Church in St. Paul. This caught my eye. Part of me wants to keep it to re-read it . . . but I have SO many books and time is limited. I probably read this twenty years ago. I marked up lots of pages. In the flyleaf, I noted the spiritual disciplines: joy! (celebration), slowing, prayer, servanthood, confession, and listening. (Do you see why I'm tempted to re-read it?!)


Page 45: "Spiritual disciplines are to life what calisthenics are to a game." This quote is in the section with the heading, "Spiritual disciplines are NOT a barometer of spirituality." (Emphasis mine.)


My hope is that this book will be an incredible blessing to someone who needs the encouragement in living a life for God. I've put this title in my Amazon cart so I can think about it / pray about it / consider doing it as a group study at my church. How ironic!


Oh! I also had a piece of paper in it that had the word "chiaroscuro" and its Merriam-Webster definition. "Kee-ar-uh-scur-oh" Chiaro (clear, light) + (o)scuro (obscure, dark). The quality of being veiled or partly in shadow, a pictorial representation in terms of light and shade.

No comments: