Sunday, January 29, 2023

Danny the Champion of the World

by Roald Dahl

Libby audiobook 4 hours

Read by: Peter Serafinowicz

Published: 1975 (This version 2013)

Genre: YA fiction

 

What I liked about this story was the love that Danny and his father have for one another. It was often sweet and delightful, especially his dad teaching him to fix cars. 

 

The narrator did a great job.

 

I had never read this book before and I didn't like it very well. My primary dislike wasn't just the focus on poaching; it was an obsessive idolization of poaching. His dad (and some of the other characters) almost seemed like drug addicts in their fixation on poaching. I understand the "little guy" perspective toward the rich, selfish landowner . . . and I even agree with people hunting for food to stave off starvation . . . but Danny himself observed that they weren't starving. It was basically theft. 

 

When his dad comes up with a scheme that involves ruining the hunt for the horrible Mr. Victor Hazell, I assume he wants to simply relocate the pheasants. No. He fully intends on keeping or giving to friends over 100 birds. I actively disliked the story at points, but Danny was a sweet kid.

No comments: