Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Punch with Judy

by Avi

Libby audiobook 4 hours

Published: 1997 (this version 2013)

Read by: Johnny Heller

Genre: YA historical fiction

 

I felt as though I had read this book before, but couldn't find a summary on my blog. It's not the best example of the orphan boy joining a traveling sideshow. Set in 1870 on the East Coast of the United States, our protagonist is taken in by Mr. McSnead and his Merry Men. Mr. McSnead's daughter Judy is also in the show, dancing on a horse's back. He gives the new boy the name "Punch" as an allusion to the Punch and Judy puppet shows. (I hadn't realized that Punch and Judy has been around for hundreds of years!)

 

In part 3, Twig describes the different types of humor. I found it very interesting!

 

A bit later, Twig says, "Who the devil cares what your plans are, you misbegotten imitation of a wooden stick?!" to Horatio. That made me laugh. And stop the story to listen again and jot down the insult.

 

The cruelty that some of the adults showed toward Punch was just incredibly sad. As an orphan, he needed compassion and kindness, not cruelty.

No comments: