Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Sammy and Juliana in Hollywood

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Libby audiobook 9 hours

Read by Robert Ramirez

Published: 2006

Genre: YA historical realistic fiction


Set in 1968, this story was intriguing in some ways. Lots of foreshadowing at the start, some interesting character development, . . . but way way way too much swearing for me. Lots of F bombs and other harsh language. It was realistic but incredibly unpleasant to listen to. I got about a third of the way through the book (3+ hours) and decided it was okay to stop listening. 


I liked how smart and sensitive Sammy's dad was. I liked Sammy's different perspective on life (compared to his peers). I liked learning what the foreshadowing was leading to . . . even though I didn't like what it led to.


Audiobook thing - "Beefas" ??? Is that the kid's name?

No comments: