Sunday, May 15, 2022

The Higher Power of Lucky

 by Susan Patron

Published: 2006

Genre: YA realistic fiction


I can't believe I haven't blogged about this book before! I read it when it came out and there was such a hullaballoo about it. I worked in Chaska. One of the elementary media gals sent her copy to the middle school. I think the big deal was the use of the word "scrotum" on page one . . . when Lucky hears a story about a dog getting bitten by a snake on his scrotum. Or maybe it's because she was listening in on an AA meeting. In any case, it's a wonderful little book.


I recently listened to the audiobook version and remembered why I liked the story so much. When Lucky's mom died, her dad was distant almost to the point of being a complete stranger. He convinced a previous wife to move from France to take care of Lucky in a trailer home in Hard Pan. 


Lucky is trying to figure out life and her place in the world. Only ten years old, she's doing her best.

No comments: