Wednesday, June 01, 2022

A Hundred Crickets Singing

by Cathy Gohlke

Jean G's copy hardcover 404 plus note to readers

Published: 2022

Genre: Christian historical fiction


Set in both the Civil War era and WWII, this book had a LOT of characters! Sometimes I had to stop and think, "Now, who is ______?" At book club, Amanda said she did the same thing!


Civil War era / Minnie - "'No battle is lost until it's over,' Mother constantly reminded me. 'Our business is to do what we need to do, what God has equipped us for, what He expects of us.' ' To stand for those oppressed, to clothe the naked and feed the hungry, to take in the foreigner . . . ' I quoted themes from Scripture I'd learned at Mother's knee, ones Father read each morning from the Bible as our reason for being, our cause for wealth and stature within the community - to give home and succor to those in need." (pg. 8)


I loved Minnie and her mom. It was interesting to think about whether or not Southerners like this really existed in the 1860s . . . 


"But freedom - the very hope of it - was everything, and those who ran vowed they'd run or die trying. Some did both." (pg. 9)


Sometimes I think we're too cavalier with our talking about slavery ("enslavement" is how it's referred to now) and too distant from the actual horrors of what that meant. Freedom is powerful indeed, and so is hope. Dying for your freedom . . . that's too abstract for me in my daily (easy) life.


"The idea that Jean Valjean had been sentenced to twenty years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed a starving child incensed her." (pg. 34)


I love that Gohlke uses the themes of Les Miserables throughout this book! In this passage, Joe is thinking of Celia and her compassion. In Minnie's era, the realization that Tom read a sanitized version highlights the gulf between them in beliefs.


Page 62 - This is where I had the "aha!" moment that these were the same characters from a previous Gohlke book we had read! (Night Bird Calling) Reading the names and about the barn burning . . . I'm a little slow.


I love in Joe's letter to Celia when he says, "Through all this I've started praying, something I haven't done much since my parents were killed in that fire when I was a kid. I can't say I have answers, or that I'm even sure God hears me. None of this makes sense, but I don't blame God for it like I used to. I blame the ugliness and hatred of people. How God can stand to look at us, I don't know, but I need Him. I sure need somebody." (pg. 211)


Joe was one of my favorite characters in this story. I loved how he often hoped for / expected the best of others . . . like the people of No Creek. Kind of naive, but sweet.


Page 225 - Minnie. "The moment I saw Grayson burning those freedom papers and land deeds, I realized that the strong, the politically powerful rule this world, even if it means they flaunt the law."


This is sad but true. Then and now.


Page 321 - Joe is praying  and his conversation with God is raw and honest. "What do I have? Where will You lead me if I give You the reins of my life?"


I think we all have those moments . . . I want to trust You, God, but I'm afraid to give up control.


Page 327 - Minnie's diary. "This is not what I'd hoped, what we worked so hard to achieve for our friends, but if I have learned anything these many years, it is that I cannot control another soul, least of all my younger brother. I can work and wait and hope, but I must surrender Grayson and all my dear ones to the Lord. Only He can change a human heart. Even then, I know that heart must be willing. May God forgive me where I have failed, and my He give His angels charge over our friends, and over Ellie and me now."


Minnie's faith and strength, despite her "weakness" as a woman in a male society, is powerful.


Page 371 - "She also needed to formulate some serious crow to eat in her coming apology to Ruby Lynne. On long reflection she didn't know what had possessed her to say those things to Ruby Lynne, to even think them. No matter if they were true, they weren't kind or necessary. Celia knew it was the type of meanness she'd expect from somebody who'd never known grace, but Celia had received grace - again and again in life."


I liked that Celia had this realization and prioritized doing the right thing by Ruby Lynne (as opposed to a ploy to regain Joe's respect). I like Celia, even if she can be a bit of a pain.


Page 397 - "Marshall struggled to his feet, refusing Joe's help. He stood, unsteadily at first, taking his time, getting a grip on his cane before he met Rhoan's hand and shook it. Both men nodded."


This was a very big deal . . . and a huge change of heart for Rhoan.


Worst characters: Grayson Belvidere and Ivy's parents. 


Nice ending to the story!


No comments: