Friday, June 24, 2022

M.O.M. Mother of Madness

by Emilia Clarke, Marguerite Bennett, Leila Leiz, Leila Del Duca, Isobel Richardson, et. al.

Hennepin County Library hardcover unpaged

Published: 2021

Genre: graphic novel, superhero


I heard a great interview on NPR with Emilia Clarke. She's such an interesting actress and what I heard in the interview intrigued me. Besides, I enjoy reading graphic novels. I was on the waiting list for five or six months for this book. I read it last evening. Hmmm.


The essential message (especially as highlighted in her author's note at the start) is to empower women and girls no matter who they are. Main character Maya lost her parents and was transformed by exposure to chemicals in their lab while cleaning. Her powers are "governed by her emotions and the hormones that cause them." She becomes extremely fast and strong when angry, invisible when scared, etc.


It was enjoyable but also disappointing. There were plenty of F-bombs and other language (appropriate for the intended audience, but not my cup of tea). There was a throw-away line about if God exists, he's awful. That just makes me so sad. God's love, mercy, and grace are what we all need!


The storyline deals with sex traffickers, misogyny, and other social ills. Maya is a single mom to adorable Billy, who becomes the bad guy's pawn. I won't read volume 2. I just didn't enjoy it much.

No comments: