Wednesday, June 22, 2022

The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes #3)

Enola Holmes Mystery #3

By Nancy Springer

Libby audiobook 4 hours

read by Katherine Kellgren

Genre: YA historical fiction mystery


Watson has gone missing. Enola goes to visit his wife Mary in disguise. While calling on her, Enola notices an unusual bouquet with unusual plants. Following her instincts and intellect, she recovers the missing doctor.


I liked some aspects of this book quite a bit (Enola's cleverness and the meaning of different flowers), but I got irritated by other aspects (the cipher code . . . again). I also liked the Sherlock / Mycroft "switch" at the end. The back story of the two sisters, the rats, the vat of asparagus . . . interesting!


I'm listening to lots of audiobooks while I process at Mackin, so I may get #5 in the near future . . . 


<Above published 6.22.22. Below added 3.27.24.>

I re-listened to this one because I have more appreciation for Springer's storytelling with experiencing the Enola Holmes books in order! It's interesting that Enola is only 14 in the books (to target middle school readers), but the movie version with Millie Bobby Brown has her at 16 or 17. The crazy younger sister whose face was eaten by rats as a baby can't really be a villain . . . yet she is. It's a bit shocking to learn how easy it was to commit someone to a "lunatic asylum" back in the 1890s!

No comments: