Friday, May 06, 2022

The Body in the Woods

by April Henry

Libby audiobook 7 hours

read by Amy McFadden

Published: 2014 (audio 2016)

Genre: YA murder mystery

 

This reminded me a little of NCIS or Criminal Minds. Alexis, Nick, and Ruby have very different back stories and home situations, but all three volunteer with the Portland County Search And Rescue (SAR).  When they come across a dead girl while searching for a missing autistic man, their lives are upended. 


I made a few notes while listening to this one. 


While Alexis is searching for her mom (who is mentally ill), she has a conversation with a homeless young man who teaches her about homelessness. The teens who pose are referred to as "Oogles" and they hang out with homeless populations because they are bored.


Alexis' conversation with the hooded guy didn't go where I thought it would.


I kept thinking that the serial killer was one character, then another. It was interesting to see how the story developed. (I'm glad it wasn't the one I thought it would be!)


There were actually some really important lines in this book about choices and life, but when listening and driving, it's hard to make note of everything. Overall, though, it was a creepy serial killer story. I liked both Alexis's and Ruby's back stories better than Nick's. He bugged me.

No comments: