Thursday, July 29, 2021

A Piece of the Moon

by Chris Fabry

Dakota County Library paperback 360 pages

Published: 2021

Genre: Christian realistic fiction / "historical" - 1980s


This was our book club title for July and I loved it! I know we've read one other Chris Fabry book, but I seriously need to get more of his stuff! His writing style is great! It felt like you got to know the characters and could care about their lives. It took place at a country radio station in West Virginia.

 

*** Spoilers ahead. If you haven't read the book, do!***


As soon as I read the premise of millionaire Gideon Quidley hiding a treasure and leaving clues via Bible verses, I thought of Forrest Fenn and the recent discovery of his treasure in the Rockies. It made this story that much more believable and made me curious to do some extra reading on Fenn.


Page 32 - "Even though he would arrive home dog-tired from work at the plant, cars kept coming and he'd tinker all hours of the day and night. He didn't charge, which was a hardship to his family, but there is no gift to the world like a man doing what he enjoys."


In this passage referring to Pidge's dad, I saw the truth and beauty in that last line. Work isn't work if you love doing it.


Page 67 - "A timer could help you get out of the way of the first vocal, but it couldn't bring the magic. And it seemed like the world was becoming less about magic and more about timers every day."


There was a lot of radio-specific content in the book, but Fabry wrote it in a way that made it accessible and even interesting. I think we all know what dead air time sounds like (or get frustrated with DJs who talk over singers) and this "magic" is what Waite is about. He's old-school and values the smoothness that comes with listening and practicing good timing.


Page 82-82 Waite teaching Wally about value using a $20 bill. This is so good! Start midway down the left hand page with "It's more than a streak," . . . this book is so good! I loved Waite and his compassion for others! I loved the theme of second chances and reconciliation.

   
 
Page 170 - "That which is foreign is often feared, especially when it comes to prayer."

I'm not sure what about this most caught my attention. It's interesting how something different (an idea, a culture, food, etc.) can make people fearful.

Page 207 - "The nurses tried to stop it. They were all out of sorts. Milton Quidley pulled the plug on his daddy. Gideon died an hour ago."

I couldn't believe it. No matter how selfish and petty you are, to end your parent's life so the will can be read . . . isn't that murder?

Page 223 - "The call made him feel warm inside. Growing up, all he'd heard was how bad and stupid he was. And that was from someone supposed to love him. Waite lived differently."

Clay was such a delightful character! I loved how he was able to keep Jubal from Milton by telling him how to treat her fleas (which she didn't have). I loved that he recognized that Waite was special. And I loved when he courageously went on-air to convince people that the dam was ready to break and they needed to evacuate. 

Page 243 - "The Kid listened from the front of the boat and didn't speak. And it struck Waite that the most powerful thing you could do was listen."

The personal growth in Clay (The Kid) also reflects a growth in Waite. I loved these interactions! And I loved Clay reaching out to Waite's adult estranged daughter. 

Page 252 - "Every dang time he'd work in a verse or two about the heavens declaring the glory of God or some such. I'd tell him to keep his religion to himself. But if you really believe you got an answer to life's problems and you don't tell nobody, what good is the answer? So I don't fault him."
 
When TD goes to talk to Corky about Gideon Quidley and the treasure, their conversation gives us more insight into the eccentric millionaire and his desire to share God's Word with people. I like TD's story arc quite a bit.
 
Page  258 - "He rode away thinking libraries were filled with smart people who could find anything."

Clay again. And me liking his observation! I'm a bit biased about librarians, though. 

Page 326 - "Laughter is like water to a dry pump. A little will prime it and pretty soon you have all you need and then some."

When Pidge is thinking this about Clay, it made me think of the positive impact his presence had in her life, Waite's, TD's . . . and his own. This was just a really, really fantastic story! And I loved what happened to the wealth, too.








No comments: