Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Long Way Home

by Louise Penny

Hennepin County Library audiobook 10 CDs

Published: 2014

read by: Ralph Cosham

Genre: murder mystery

 

Ann has recently discovered Penny's Inspector Gamache. I hadn't read one in a while, so I got this. I quickly remembered what I like (detail, clues, etc.) and what I dislike (overdramatized, overwrought characters).

 

Since I was listening to an audiobook, I just have quick jotted notes.

  • When listening to the audio, the shifts between scenes and characters in a chapter is disconcerting. I'm pretty sure on the page, you can see a gap. But the reader goes directly from Myrna and Clara to Gamache and Bouvoir . . . and it bugs me.
  • The St. Lawrence River and a meteor impact you can see from space?! I had to Google it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlevoix_crater    Fascinating!
  •  Asbestos . . . lots of interesting stuff here, but I was surprised at how clueless they were while learning about it.
  • "fine line between privacy and secrecy" - yep. 
  • The Tenth Muse . . . overdone and overwrought.
  • Norman / No Man 
  • Captain's vs. admiral's cabins on the ship . . . why did this bug me? Why did Myrna and Clara stay silent so long?
  • symbolism . . . and lots of it.
  • Duh! Massey! Killer chase . . . seriously. How did they not consider this? Asbestos-covered canvases and who's trying to kill whom? 

I think I need to read other authors. For some reason, Penny just bugs me. (Or maybe I'd like the print books better?) I think Miss Marple is my favorite detective.



No comments: