Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Blindsided

by Priscilla Cummings
Scott County Library hardcover 226 pages
genre: YA realistic fiction

A student loaned me her library copy of this book one day when I was subbing. I got to page 53 before the video (and class) ended, so I returned it to her. I was curious about how it turned out, so I got it from the county library.

Natalie O'Reilly is 14 years old and losing her sight. She has a rare condition that causes her to not have irises, so her eyes are extremely sensitive to light. When her doctor recommends that she go to a school for the blind so she can learn helpful skills "in case" she completely loses her sight, she and her father are both opposed.

Take all the normal issues and anxieties for a teen girl and add the loss of vision. The book surprised me as it went from Natalie's self-focused sadness to a more balanced outlook on her life options. The Bree storyline added a lot. I'm glad I read this book.

No comments: