Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Under a Wing: A Memoir

by Reeve Lindbergh
Hennepin County Library hardcover 222 pages
genre: non-fiction, memoir

This wasn't as captivating as The Aviator's Wife, which is frustrating since that was fiction and Lindbergh's book is about her life and memories. I loved the photos and the way the remembrances made me want to write my own stories. I appreciate that she neither tried to demonize nor sugarcoat her parents' lives. This seems very honest and observant.

Page 58 - "I had no interest in my father's flying or his writing career, but I thought that surely my mother did not really want to be shut away for a whole afternoon with a pen and a pad of paper, without seeing my face, hearing my thoughts, inspecting my bruises, or in some other way affirming for both of us the extraordinary importance of my presence in her life."

This made me smile! As the youngest child, I'm sure Reeve (like most small children) really DO think they're the center of the universe.

Page 81 - I made a note of her comment about the movie The Fisher King (with Robin Williams). Apparently there's a scene where they actually make fun of Anne Morrow Lindbergh wondering where her baby is. I've never heard of this movie, and I'm horrified that someone would joke about a personal tragedy this way. Here's what I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmfGLfWqlzA

Page 117 - The whole scene where she talks about being at her grandma's house and offered malted milk tablets! What a hoot! She expected something nasty. "I made a vow to myself, too, that no matter how terrible the next few seconds might be, I would not choke or vomit. Thus stoically prepared, I selected one of the clay-colored capsules, thrust it quickly back toward my molars, and bit down into one of the great surprises of my life. Malted milk tablets were delicious. The taste that touched my tongue and spread everywhere through my mouth was as rich and deep and delightful as chocolate, which I adored. I was mesmerized, astonished, completely seduced. I chewed, sucked, and drizzled malted milk into the greedy moistness of my inner cheeks while I stared at my father and my grandmother, and I felt an unsuspected melting pleasure of belonging draw itself gently over me."

Page 181 - "She will carefully mark special places in these diaries as she reads, sometimes leaving as many as fifty markers in one book. She will mark her place, or her places, with scraps of paper, envelopes, napkins, pieces of ribbon, whatever comes to hand."

Reeve is referring to her mother, but I loved that image and I also love to "mark" up books . . . usually with Post-it notes.

Page 216 - "She said that it had been his hbvit for so long, growing up so alone, to listen only to himself. He had learned to rely on his own judgment, and this had been critical for him, because his survival often depended upon following his instincts."

This is Anne ML referring to Charles, but it just made me think of Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding . . . "



No comments: