Friday, July 06, 2018

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

by C.S. Lewis
personal paperback 248 pages
genre: YA Christian allegorical fiction / fantasy

My pastor referenced this book a while back. It had been quite a while since I had read any of the Chronicles of Narnia, so I put it on my reading pile. Now that I've re-read it, I don't know what pastor had referenced!

I remember liking Reepicheep and his sassy, saucy attitude. It's nice to see Eustace transform from a brat into a decent kid (via life as a dragon . . . ).

In Chapter 7, Eustace is telling about what helped him transform back into a human from dragon form. Tearing off the dragon skin and being tender underneath . . . sounds a lot like the old man becoming a new creation.

In Chapter 10, when Lucy is reading in the Magician's Book, I like how her defiance and determination to do something she knows is wrong has sad consequences. I can relate! I hate it when I ignore that "still, silent voice" of the Holy Spirit and do something I know is wrong . . . and the results are predictable.

Chapter 12 and the Dark Island was very interesting. I love that they were rescued by Lucy's prayers to Aslan when they were trapped in their darkness and fear.

No comments: