Friday, July 27, 2018

Robert B. Parker's Kickback: A Spenser novel

by Ace Atkins
Hennepin County Library audiobook 6 CDs
read by Joe Mantegna
genre: mystery

I got this (as well as several other titles) in preparation for my road trip with my sister Louise. I'm not sure how many (if any) Robert Parker books I've ever read, but I recognized the name as one she likes. Since Parker is dead and this was written by a different person (Atkins), I figured she hadn't read it yet. I was right! She knew the characters and some of the "in" jokes that I didn't get.

Spenser takes on a case for a distraught mom whose son was sent to a juvenile facility for a minor offense. As he looks into the case, there are two "dirty" judges and connections to the underworld.

Some of it was interesting and some of Spenser's attitude was funny. I see why this character resonates for Louise.

No comments: