Monday, July 16, 2018

The Cafe' by the Sea

by Jenny Colgan
Hennepin County Library audiobook 8 CDs
read by the author
genre: realistic fiction, romance

What a fun book! I think my favorite part may have been listening to the lovely accents. I didn't realize that the author was also the vocal talent until I started this blog entry. Beautiful!

Flora is a paralegal in London when her boss (whom she has a huge crush on) asks her to go to the small Scottish island of Mure to help a wealthy client. Flora does NOT want to go back to the island she grew up on and has not been back to since her mother's funeral. Once she goes, though, old and new collide in her life.

I loved this book!

Lorna is such a wise and wonderful friend.

"You're in a different world when you lose a parent." Yes! And grief is an odd thing.

I *love* the Scottish tongue! I could listen to this book over and over just to hear her voice!

Wow. Flora is grumpier than me!

Joel is such a jerk! I liked learning more about him as the story went on.

Agate - cool name! Flora, Fenton, Innis, Hammish, and Eck? (I couldn't find a list of the characters online . . . not that I looked super hard. That's one of the challenges of audiobooks and not seeing the words in print!)

I didn't realize she had written so many books! I'll have to find some more. Reading this one made me want to make scones!

(Above written 7.16.18. Below added 9.18.18.)

Some notes from listening a second time:
  • I looked on a map of Scotland for an island called Muir or Mure or anything like that. Nope. But very interesting to learn more about Scotland!
  • I dislike how much the characters used the Lord's name in vain! Not a lot of other swearing, but it's hard to hear His name used as an expletive.
  • Benefits of fresh air, outdoors, etc.! Loved this! Made me want to go outside for a hike.
  • Title . . . it takes quite a while to get to the cafe' part of the story.
  • "Nobody could conceivably fancy someone who didn't like dogs." - I love when Flora makes this comment. I too am a dog lover!

No comments: