Monday, June 19, 2017

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss

by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt
Hennepin County Library hardcover 290 pages
genre: non-fiction, biography of sorts

I didn't like this as much as I anticipated. I like Anderson Cooper a lot, but didn't realize he was Gloria Vanderbilt's son until recently. I was curious and requested this from the library. There's a waiting list, so I read it yesterday.

I liked the photographs. I found some of their storyline interesting. I don't have a lot of empathy for Vanderbilt . . . she may be 92 and wiser than in her youth, but that's not really saying much, is it? Everyone has a past and a story. I really liked Cooper learning more about his mom and her life while she's still here. Too many of us have a "someday" in mind that never comes. Hearing the stories and capturing them before people are gone is so very important.

page 108 - Vanderbilt writes, "What am I if no longer an ardent Catholic? An agnostic, I suppose, but I do believe in a mysterious force secretly in charge of our destiny, enabling us to make life bearable and keep moving even when times are tough. The end will turn out as it was always meant to be. Yes, from the beginning, we have nothing to do but wait." That is such a sad way to think . . . I'm glad her son challenges her in his response, but eternity is a long time to spend having rejected God.

page 252 - Vanderbilt writes, "As death approaches, I no longer imagine a diamond at my secret core. Instead, I see shimmering flashes of moonlight on the calm of a midnight sea." She seems to have jumbled many different philosophies and ideas into her own personal belief system. Ultimately, their conversations just make me sad.

No comments: