Saturday, March 18, 2017

The Iron Trial

by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
Carver County Library paperback 295 pages
genre: YA fantasy, magic

I enjoyed this far more than I anticipated! Neither of these authors are ones I especially like and the cover looks creepy, but I was pleasantly surprised. Callum "Call" Hunt has grown up with a damaged leg, a pronounced lip, and a sassy mouth. His mother died when he was just an infant and his father has always bad-mouthed the mages and the Magesterium. But when Call is summoned to the Iron Trial and strives to fail the tests, he is accepted by Master Rufus, the same man who trained his parents in the use of magic.

Lots of adventure, mystery, and some lovely coming-of-age moments. Tamara, Aaron, Jasper, Celia, and of course the evil minions and Chaos-ridden creatures all make this an intriguing story. I read book two last night and will have book three done before I go back to school on Monday. When my book club meets to discuss this title, I'll be ready to recommend the rest of the series!

No comments: