Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Still Life

by Louise Penny
Hennepin County Library audiobook 8 discs
read by Ralph Cosham
genre: murder mystery

I really like this author's work! The narrator does a fantastic job and the characters are so interesting. I didn't guess the murderer in advance . . . but then, the author disguises motivations well. These notes are from scraps of paper in my car (written while driving . . . not a good idea, I know.)

Diogenes / lamp reference - I love this!

Book starts with Jane's murder, then goes back to Fair Day and the gathering of Jane's friends.

". . . Every parent of a teenage boy fears they're housing a stranger."

Matthew 10:36 referenced often, but only stated in full at the end. "A man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

Myrna talking about client who complains ad nauseam but wouldn't make changes she suggested. She realized he didn't *want* to change! Reminded me of my dad complaining - so frustrating until I realized it was his hobby.

Philippe - parents, behaviors, . . . unreal! (The final reveal on his reasons for becoming such a withdrawn and sullen teenager didn't fit well with my experience, but at least it was finally explained.)

Scene with Clara Morrow calling Solange with her baby - LOL!

The "reveal" in Jane's living room made me smile. Very interesting part of the book.

Clara finally standing up to Yolanda! Woohoo! About time, girl.

Deeper meanings! Yolanda and queen of hearts. Nicole and Ruth's mirror - "You're looking at the problem." Nicole NOT getting it. This author has some great ideas and relates them well. Inspector Gamache is a wonderful main character.

No comments: