Wednesday, November 30, 2016

This Road We Traveled

by Jane Kirkpatrick
Hennepin County Library paperback 322 pages plus author notes
genre: Christian historical fiction, Oregon Trail

This was a "like, not love" book for me. I enjoyed discussing it with Katie and Jodi. I always love to hear other people's perspectives! Yeah for book club!

Early on, the book frustrated me with the "men tell the women what to do." I know it's historically accurate, but it bugs me. I liked that Tabby was feisty and spoke her mind, but it took me a while (almost half the book) to begin enjoying the story.

page 102 - conversation between Virgilia and Tabitha - "Ultimately we really only have the choice of trusting that God's with us, willing ourselves to walk with him as we walk this earth, learning from the roads we take." (I hope to someday have this kind of faith and wisdom.)

page 145 - Tabby talking with Judson - "'We gather facts, then listen to our hearts and live with the results.' Wasn't that the way of life? Nobody knows what lies ahead. And if they did, truth be known, they might never have started out."

page 152 - John talking to Tabby about her role in her family - "But there's an aura of wisdom in your efforts, in the way you've lived your life that acts as a beacon for them, for us all. You have a hopeful spirit." (I love that phrase - "hopeful spirit" - I would like to be seen that way.)

page 177 - Pherne talking to Tabby - "Mother, you have the ability to turn sour into sweet. I wish I had half of that imaginative stew."

page 187 - Tabby's observation while they're traveling rough ground on the alternate trail - "Her granddaughters were no longer interested in spelling bees or discovering new words or facts. Being tired and hungry sure affected a child's learning spirit." (Yep. That is so very true! Hence the biggest issue for children of poverty is getting enough food to be ABLE to learn!)

page 198 - the turning point for me. I was finally invested in the story and what happened to these characters. This is the scene where John and Tabby leave on the horses to try to catch up to the front groups who have the cattle and get help, food, something for the families and wagons that are struggling.

page 241 - the conversation between Orus and Tabby. The difficulty of mother-son relationships at times . . .

page 251 - Pherne and Virgil talking - "'Promise me you'll try to see your mother today. I know she can be a trial, but you always seem cheered after you've been with her.' Cheered? Maybe so. 'Right after I feel terrible that I'm so woeful while she who has less than anyone can be so stalwart.' She whispered then, 'I actually sometimes resent her.' He laughed. 'Envy takes its toll. But think of it this way: some of her undaunted courage rubbed off on you, Pherne Pringle.'" (I can relate to Pherne's feelings of inadequacy and frustration! I wish I could relate more to Tabby's stalwart, positive attitude!)

page 269 - Virgilia contemplating her future and her relationship with Fabritus - "Until this journey west, she hadn't thought much about what it took to support another, to keep alive, find ways to sustain a family, and perhaps one day prosper beyond what her own family had done. She couldn't help but remember their comfortable life back in Missouri where they wanted for nothing, where books could be loaned out, read and returned, and necessities and luxuries purchased off supply ships sent down the Missouri from the East." (Why on earth would anyone leave this to travel the Oregon Trail and start from scratch?!)

page 322 - the end of Tabby's note to her granddaughter Sarelia - "We must keep both our feet and wings in good repair to face the uncertain road that is our life." (Love this! The author had a lot of primary source material to write this novel based on the real-life Tabitha Moffat Brown.)

No comments: