Tuesday, November 08, 2016

The Husband's Secret

by Liane Moriarty
Hennepin County Library
Hardcover, 394 pages
AudioCD 12 discs
read by Caroline Lee
genre: realistic fiction, relationships


Cecilia Fitzpatrick
  • 3 daughters - Isabel / Esther (odd, serious, loves learning) / Polly (loves secrets)
  • Berlin Wall (repeated in other storylines) - Esther's book, piece from the 80s in the attic
  • "the sex thing" - don't talk about it
  • husband John-Paul / letter he wrote long ago
  • The Biggest Loser (another repeated element in other storylines)
  • SuperMom - busy, organized, efficient
Tess
  • husband Will
  • cousin Felicity
  • son Liam 
  • mom has a broken ankle
  • hurt, their betrayal
  • St. Angela's school . . . (another repeated element)
Rachel
  • Rob (son) and Lauren (D-I-L)
  • Jacob (grandson)
  • moving to NYC
  • emptiness, loss
  • daughter Janie died as a teen 
At different points in the story, I empathized most with Tess, then Rachel, then Cecilia. I read and listened to it at so many different points over the last few weeks . . . it was originally recommended by Brooke, my hygienist. I was on the waiting list for a long time!

The epilogue tells so much more of the story! The author uses this technique at other places in the book. "If Janie had lived . . . " Intriguing. The language was often so beautiful in this story. Had I read all of it in print, I would have used lots of post-it notes! As it is, I thought often of how different the characters' lives could have been if they'd had faith in Jesus and turned to him in their times of trouble.

Random car notes:
  • People who've lost someone like to hear stories / memories because there won't be any new memories . . . I love when Cecilia shares her red marching story and Janie's encouragement with Rachel.
  • "There's something sinister about PE teachers." Made me laugh! I'd love to share it with my PE teacher colleagues, but it's too strange out of context.
  • Rachel and grief group  - tragedy bringing out the best OR WORST in people! So true!
  • Missing dead people at odd times . . . I can relate. There are times I just miss my mom and feel the tears well up.
  • John Paul's mom Virginia - nasty piece of work. "A mother would do *anything* for her child."
  • Faith makes such a difference! These people need Jesus. Grief, relationships, marriage, forgiveness, . . . God's got answers!
  • F-bombs and taking the Lord's name in vain . . . it's a lot harder to hear these on an audiobook than to read them in text. They used Jesus' name as a swearword, sexual release expression, etc. Gave me more opportunities to pray!

Overall, an amazing book. I loved the reader's Australian accent. It made the book come alive! I'm interested in finding what else Moriarty has written.


No comments: