Sunday, November 27, 2016

Bury Your Dead

by Louise Penny
Scott County Library audiobook 10 discs
read by Ralph Cosham
genre: detective fiction

I read about this author in the Costco Connection and decided to try one of her books. It made me think "Dad would have loved this!" many, many times.

Chief Inspector Gamache is the head of the Surete in Quebec. He is recovering from an investigation that almost took his life, and killed several of his officers. There are three story lines - what happened in the investigation that went wrong (with flashbacks of conversations with Agent Moran), the murder of Augustin Renault at the Literary and Historical Society, and Agent Beauvoir is looking back into the murder of the hermit in Three Pines.

My dad would have loved these because they are set in Quebec and highlight some of the Francophone / Anglophone tension. There are so many cultural details that would resonate for him. And he liked the old-fashioned detective mysteries. Inspector Gamache is a fantastic character - strong, but flawed and with questions. This story made me miss my dad! (not an easy feat, but time tends to dull some of the frustrations of the past)

Cosham did a wonderful job with the narration - distinguishing the many characters extremely well. Moran was particularly poignant.

Additional notes from my car (added 11.30.16 to the above from 11.27.16):
Champlain - I'm curious! Samuel Champlain - founder of Quebec - burial / body lost / HISTORY! (I am inspired to research this . . . )
Henri, the German Shepherd - love this dog!
Renault "bordered on madness" / "He was the Capitol of the state of madness!"
I also have notes marked 11.10.16 . . .
Missing my dad!?!
Crying a lot lately
midlife? premenopausal? work stress?
This was early on in listening to the book (also pre-Thanksgiving). The story was a welcome diversion during my commute!

No comments: