Sunday, April 10, 2016

Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander

by Phil Robertson
Hennepin County Library audiobook 5 discs
read by the author (introduction) and his son Al Robertson
genre: Non-fiction memoir

I didn't like this nearly as well as the book by his son Willie and daughter-in-law Korie. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that a self-professed "redneck" would say things that bug me so much. His comments on food and cooking would have been fine - mom's homemade dill pickles and no junk food around - but his disdainfulness toward "yuppies" who live in suburbs and eat in restaurants because they "don't know how to cook." . . . whatever.

Cold. Not sure what my note refers to (and I shouldn't try writing while I'm driving) but I remember him talking about how cold their house was and how they slept close to their siblings to keep warm.

"Man can't live on fruits and vegetables alone. At least, real men can't." Apparently vegetarian men aren't real.

I agree with his point about the importance about kids playing outdoors and getting exercise, but his way of communicating this is so incredibly condescending!

There were a lot of the same stories as in his son's book. This was neither good nor bad, but I definitely liked Duck Commander Family better.

I am SO not into hunting and killing animals, so those parts didn't resonate for me AT ALL.

His rules for being Happy, Happy, Happy:
Rule 1: Simplify Your Life (Throw away your cell phones and computer, yuppies)
Rule 2: Don’t let your grandkids grow up to be nerds
Rule 3: Learn to cook
Rule 4: Don’t try to figure out women (they’re strange creatures)
Rule 5: Always wear shoes (Your feet will feel better)
Rule 6: Put the bottle down (You’ll thank me in the morning)
Rule 7: Buy a house near water (It’s a lot more fun)
Rule 8: Never sell yourself short (You never know, you might become a millionaire)
Rule 9: It’s cheaper to hire your relatives (Unless you don’t like ‘em)
Rule 10: If you’re going to do something, do it right (instead of doing it again)
Rule 11: Suck the head of a crawfish
Rule 12: Learn to forgive (Life’s a lot easier that way)
Rule 13: Share God’s word (It’s what he asked of you)
Rule 14: Read the Bible (We can still save this once great country – it’s not too late)

I thought about adding my notes on these, but it's enough. Moving on to the next book . . . 

No comments: