Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Walking: the Ultimate Exercise for Optimum Health

by Dr. Andrew Weil and Mark Fenton
Hennepin County Library audiobook 2 discs
read by the authors
genre: non-fiction, wellness

Short and to the point. I listened in my car, but disc one is really about WHY you should walk (easy, inexpensive, lifelong, etc.) and disc two is really for you to use to stretch out, move, walk faster for greater benefits, and cool down.

I made a note - copy disc 2, put it on mp3 player, and WALK! I really think I mostly just need to be motivated to do what I already know is good to do. I spend too much time on my butt!

The four tips for faster walking technique are:
1. Stand Tall (posture!)
2. Focus on quicker, not longer steps
3. Bend your arms (90 degrees, arc from along waistband in back to chest high in front)
4. Push off of your toes (show someone behind you the bottom of your shoe)

Warm-ups:
1. Ankle circles - R to R side in slo-mo, L to L side - 5-6 each side
2. Leg swings - swing from the hip like a pendulum - slow, controlled - each leg 5-6 times
3. Pelvic loops - hands on hips, soft knees, feet and shoulders stationary - to the L and the R
4. Change light bulbs - reaches overhead - both hands up, reach further up with one, twist, change sides
5. Arm circles - hold arms out like a T, make small circles forward and back, then bigger circles, etc.
6. Torso twists - hands on shoulders, slowly twist L and R

I'm already tired of this and I don't want to grab images from the booklet. I'll either get it from the library again when I'm actually ready to use it (or buy it on Amazon).

No comments: