Sunday, April 10, 2016

Taming the Dragon Within: How to Be the Mother-in-law You've Always Wanted

by Leanne Braddock, Ileene Huffard, & Zannette Uriell
personal paperback 280 plus appendixes
genre: non-fiction relationships

Ginee Scott gave this to me before Alex and Stacie got married and I've finally read it! (The last three years have been quite full of life events.) I didn't find it to be super helpful, but perhaps I need to ask Stacie about the things I say or do that bug her. I definitely marked the chapter about grandparenting . . . that will be new turf for me and I want to be a blessing to both generations!

Page 44 - the sit-down talk caught my attention. I am glad that Morgan and I are able to talk with one another pretty easily. I want to have a conversation with him about his relationship with Angela's family. I sometimes am oblivious to others' perspectives and I know he can be, too.

Page 63 - I love the section on "leaving and cleaving" and especially the directions given to the Israelites. It's so important for a young couple to spend time getting to know one another better and forging their new relationship.

 

Chapter 5 on Communication . . . I could highlight the entire chapter! Chapter 6 on Conflict Resolution is also helpful.


Page 128 - The section on cut-offs (and the impact on several generations) was concerning. I know of far too many people who have had relationships severed and it is heart-breaking to me. It's hard work to deal with conflict, hurt, and forgiveness, but it is so important.

Page 158 - I love the section on humor! I often say, "I'd rather laugh than cry." The reasons humor is important?
1. The funny line and the bottom line intersect! (employers appreciate humor)
2. Jest for the health of it! ("laughter enhances respiration and circulation, oxygenates teh glood, suppresses the stress-related hormones in the brain, and activates the immune system")
3. Humor as an antidote to stress
4. "A smile is the shortest distance between two people."
5. The HAHA-AHA connection (between humor and creativity)
6. The laughing-learning link
7. Your resilience quotient
8. Humor as a saving (and amusing) grace for the planet (build bridges)

No comments: