Saturday, April 02, 2016

Mamba Point

By Kurtis Scaletta
PRMS hardcover 271
Historical fiction? 1982, VHS tapes, Atari Pac-Mac . . .
Realistic fiction?
(I talked with some students about it and they said realistic fic . . . I love my genrefied collection!)
 
12 year old Linus and older brother Larry (“Law”) move with mom and dad to Liberia where dad will work with the U.S. embassy. Linus has been a scaredy-cat and wants to create a new reality . . . but they see a black mamba snake (actually grey . . . very dangerous, very fast) as soon as they get off the airplane. Then Linus starts seeing one whenever he goes outside.

He gets to know a “Charlie” (a street seller of masks, etc.)named Sekou who tells him about a kaseng – a connection with an animal that is almost supernatural.

Matt is the kid downstairs who likes to stay indoors and play games. He’s kind of antisocial. There are lots of characters, details, etc. that are with me now but will likely get lost with time. Ah well. I wouldn’t mind re-reading it with a group of kids if the opportunity arises.

This started slowly for me, but I got more and more engaged in the story as it went along. I liked how Linus changed, but kept some of his sweet qualities (like caring about the two kids – Gambeh and Tokie – who are clearly poor and hungry).

I wondered if Linus was imagining the snake, then I wanted people to know about his connection to it, then . . . yep, I cared about this kid and his deadly “pet.”

Spoiler (sort of)  Toward the end of the book, when he is saying goodbye to his mamba, he thinks “So you can be whoever you want” and “It poked its head up, as if it wanted me to pay close attention to its next point: So can you, it said.”

I’ve met the author at a signing event. I loved this book and his note at the end about his experience as a kid in Liberia. I look forward to reading more of his work.
 

No comments: