Sunday, March 20, 2016

Nimona

by Noelle Stevenson
PRMS hardcover 262 pages
genre: YA graphic novel, fantasy adventure

This one had great reviews, but at first I didn't like it. Nimona was too pushy and obnoxious. It didn't take long for me to be won over by her, though (like supervillain Ballister Blackheart). Nimona's a shapeshifter who comes to Blackheart to work as his sidekick. Sir Goldenloin is the hero (The Official Hero of the Institute) who is out to stop Blackheart, though the two used to be friends and comrades.

There's a moment on page 99 during a fight between the two men when Goldenloin is at Blackheart's mercy.

Blackheart: "What if I cut off your arm right now? (something that Goldenloin caused to Blackheart years earlier) Then you'd see how fast the Institution would cast you aside. Just like they did me."
Goldenloin: "You wouldn't."
Blackheart: "No, I wouldn't. And I'm the villain. What do you suppose that says about you?"

I quickly grew to care about Blackheart and Nimona and what would happen to them. I loved this book and will re-read it for sure!

No comments: