Wednesday, March 16, 2016

How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide

by Jane Bryant Quinn
Hennepin County Library hardcover 348 pages
genre: Non-Fic finance

I read a review in the Star Tribune and was intrigued. I hate financial stuff, but I really do want to retire in eight years. I'm only on page 180, but it's due back at the library today (long waiting list). I will probably have to re-check it out this summer. Her writing style is easy to read (for the most part) and she has clearly done a lot of research. I'm interested in getting some of her other books, too.

page 67 under the heading "Too Many Choices! Where Can I Get Help?"
In looking at when to draw benefits relative to your age, your spouse's age, and maximizing your benefit amount over your lifetime . . . she recommends using AARP's free Social Security Calculator online. Her caveat, "Unfortunately, this calculator lacks flexibility. It assumes that all married people want to maximize their monthly checks when your actual goal might be to maximize your lifetime benefits as a couple." She also recommends AnalyzeNow.com (another free site) to include other types of income. "But it's strictly for do-it-yourselfers who know their way around Microsoft Excel." Piece of cake!

page 170 under the heading "Investing Your Retirement Plan"
She has a lot of bulleted points of advice . . . the one that jumped out at me talked about having index funds as opposed to other types of investments. I need to contact ING (and AXA and AIG???) and find out where my money is. I hate this stuff! She says of index funds, "These funds, essentially run by computer, invest in the market as a whole. Years and years of studies show that the returns from index funds beat a large majority of the funds run by individual managers. They're also lower cost."

I also tagged page 173 with a question about high fees . . . I don't really know what fees I pay.

I think I'll check out some of her other books and maybe re-check this one over the summer. At some point, I may just need to buy finance books. I need to start wrapping my brain around all this if I'm truly going to retire in eight years.




No comments: