Sunday, March 20, 2016

Bruiser

by Neal Shusterman
PRMS paperback 328 pages
genre: YA supernatural (but mostly realistic)

This one surprised me! It wasn't at all what I expected and it kept drawing me in more and more. (I should've expected that from a Shusterman story.)

The story is told from multiple points of view, but the change in narration is clearly marked.

Tennyson and Bronte - male and female twins / he plays lacrosse and can be a bit of a bully / she is smart, sensitive, and looks for "projects" / their parents are literature professors whose marriage is crumbling
Katrina - Tennyson's girlfriend

Brewster - a brooding loner who loves angry poetry
Cody - Brew's little brother, seemingly fearless
Uncle Hoyt - took Brew and Cody in when their mother died. He's a nasty drunk

I tagged a page at the end of the book, but I don't want to blog about it. This story unfolded more and more as it went on. There's so much happening here! I think I need to get a group of readers to read and discuss this. Amazing book.

No comments: