Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos

by Deborah Heiligman
Illustraged by Leuyen Pham
Hennepin County Library hardcover 32 pages
genre: Children's biography

Pam Silverain recommended this to me. I had never heard of Erdos before but love the story of his life as a mathematician extraordinaire! I love that he called colleagues' children "epsilons" since they were "small amounts." I love that he took what could be considered a solitary pursuit and shared so extensively with other mathematicians. The author recommends the books The Man Who Loved Only Numbers (Paul Hoffman) and My Brain Is Open (Bruce Schechter). There is also a documentary called N Is a Number. These all sound very interesting! Perhaps I need to own a copy of this picture book to share with future grandchildren . . .

No comments: