Thursday, July 16, 2015

Trillium

by Jeff Lemire
Hennepin County Library paperback unpaged
genre: YA graphic novel, Sci-Fi romance

I didn't love it or hate it. Interesting story. Nika, xeniologist from 3797, accidentally goes to Peru in 1921 and runs into William, a WWI soldier still suffering from PTSD (though it wasn't called that, of course). The temples and the Trillium flower have strange powers.

I struggled a bit with the part of the book where you were to read one story line by flipping the book upside down and then the other storyline right side up. I also didn't get the logic of when they switched lives - how did it also switch a few key other people, but not everyone in their respective worlds? Why did Commander Pohl go so kill-crazy?

Anyhow, I like graphic novels a lot, and this author is an Eisner-winner, but I don't think I'll be buying this one for school. The artwork is also not a style I love.

No comments: