Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Bone Gap

by Laura Ruby
Hennepin County Library audiobook 7 discs
read by Dan Bittner
genre: YA mystical fiction
* Spoiler at the bottom!

The more I listened to this story, the more I got drawn into it. What an incredible story! It's unlike anything I've read before. It's told from multiple points of view - Finn, his brother Sean, Rosa, Petey (Priscilla), and Charlie Valentine. It is mostly Finn's story. From getting beaten up by the five Rood brothers to riding a mysterious horse through the night, Finn experiences life intensely. Called "Moon Face," "Side Track," and other names, Petey learns the truth.

Words I jotted while listening in my car: mystical quality, imaginary, magic, dream, unreal, scarecrow, corn, cold . . .
Is the man/professor a vampire?
I'm frustrated / mad at Sean! He should listen to his brother and believe him!

Loved the resolution! Loved learning what is up with "Bone Gap."

This is such an odd, interesting story. Not sure if it will appeal to my students. I'm curious to talk about this at our Litwits gathering!

Face-blindness / the corn and crows being alive and communicating / Polish

No comments: