Friday, July 10, 2015

I'll Give You the Sun

by Jandy Nelson
Hennepin County Library hardcover 371 pages
genre: YA realistic fiction, coming-of-age

What an incredible book! Told from the points of view of twins (but at different times), Noah's 13-year-old self and Jude's 16-year-old self shape our understanding of what has happened. There is so much going on in this book, I don't even know how to blog about it. My reaction when I finished was wonderful / horrible / amazing / sad . . . Pages 288-9 is the only part I marked. It was hard for me to read when Noah had his meltdown after Brian kissed Courtney and Noah confronted his mom. So much emotion is wrapped into this book - love, fear, hope, betrayal, truth, and lies. I think it's a bit too mature for my middle school readers, but perhaps I'm wrong. The more sophisticated readers would love it! But it may be too much of a reach book for the majority of my readers.

Big themes: art and art history, homosexuality, superstitions, surfing . . .
Coolness: the parrot asking where Ralph is, Oscar's British self, Guillermo's mad genius

No comments: