Thursday, October 16, 2014

One Word: that will change your life

by Dan Britton, Jon Gordon, and Jimmy Page
Hennepin County Library hardcover 89 pages
genre: non-fiction motivational

Considering it's such a short little book, it sure took me a long time to read this thing. Dana had raved about it during workshop week. I tried to keep an open mind, but it kind of bugged me.

Early on in the book, the authors talk about how important it is to take time to consider your one word. "Take the time to look inward by opening your heart." This idea and the "assignment" to pick one word was thrown at us in a meeting during workshop week. WHY we were doing it and WHAT to do with it wasn't terribly clear. (This concern is not with the book itself, but with how this concept was introduced to staff.)

The religious theme of the book was curious to me . . . as a Christian, I should enthusiastically embrace the references to God, right? "Get a God word, not just a good word. When we look up, we recognize that God knows what is best for us." The problem I have with this is that I wonder who their audience is? Everyone? I think most non-believers would be put off by this. I don't know that, but I think it's distinctly possible. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I don't think they go far enough. Why pick one word per year to focus on? Why not continually study God's Word and seek his guidance daily? If you are trying to evangelize, go all-out! This just seemed like a self-help book with a dose of God on the side.

So my "one word" for this school year is "Listen." I had brainstormed a bunch of words in the staff meeting and picked "power" - thinking of the power of the Holy Spirit, the power I feel when I am right with the Lord, and wanting to empower my students. But as I reflected over the weekend, the word "listen" spoke to me. Listen to God's voice. Listen to others. Don't talk so much! I like this word and the suggestions to "keep your One Word front and center" are good:
  • write it down and post in prominent places
  • create a screen saver
  • paint on a sign and hang where you'll see it every day
  • take a picture and save it on phone
  • keep a journal with insights about the word
  • discuss with family
  • sayings or quotes that relate to word
  • song
  • poem or prayer
  • share with a "stretch team" - (e.g. the Academy PLC)
 In the section where they talk about schools and focus, I had to laugh. "Unfortunately, by the time October rolls around, the positive energy and optimism felt in August has given way to the stress and challenges of the classroom." Yeah. Even this year, when we did the energy bus AND our "one word" thing . . . people are exhausted and tired of being exhausted.

Pet Peeve Alert!!!
WHY do editors and proofreaders let crap get published with so many errors!!!! 
Page 72 starts with "One Word basketball and placed it in their locker room before every game!" This sentence doesn't make sense here and doesn't work as a caption for the images below it. On the previous page, there are three paragraphs. This is the last two lines of the middle paragraph, repeated on the next page for no apparent reason other than carelessness.

There was another one, but my non-post-it bookmark fell out. Irritating! Doesn't anyone care about doing quality work any more?

No comments: