Monday, October 27, 2014

I Lived on Butterfly Hill

by Marjorie Agosin
YAC book hardcover 454 pages
genre: YA historical fiction

What I liked about this book: the cultural aspect (set primarily in Chile during Pinochet's revolution, though he is not named), the relationships (friends, family, neighbors), some of the lovely details (the pelicans, the houses, etc.)

I tried really hard to like the book as a whole, but it took me longer than normal to read it due to its slow pacing and contemplative tone. Celeste Marconi is a very young protagonist (eleven years old at the start, but even later as a fourteen-year-old, she comes across as very young) and she has a childlike reaction to so many things that she encounters. There were some nice moments in the book, but I can't enthusiastically recommend it to other readers.

No comments: