Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bridge to Haven

by Francine Rivers
Jodi's copy hardcover 459 pages
genre: Christian fiction, relationships

Loved it! Rivers is a wonderful author. I don't even want to write a synopsis . . . just my post-its.

page 24 - I cried when Mitzi played ragtime at Marianne's funeral, especially when her son got embarrassed. This probably has a lot to do with planning my mom's funeral . . . what would *she* like? What is expressive of her?

page 38 - (I love Mitzi!) Mitzi says to a pouting Abra, "I've never lied to you and I never will. I know it's your choice to believe me or not, but you'd better understand this: what you believe sets the course of your life." There's more, but sometimes a person just needs a good talking-to. This is a wonderful scene.

page 96 - Zeke (and Joshua) knowing that all they can do for Abra is pray. "What would it do to both of them if Abra followed the deceiver rather than the lover of her soul?"

page 110 - When Dylan yanks Marianne's cross necklace off Abra, I wanted her to scream and run . . . fast.

page 139 - Zeke is talking with Mitzi about Abra. "Hodge (her son) seemed to be torn between mortification and pride. He adored his mother, but said she drove him insane at times. He admitted once he never knew how his hardworking, somewhat-shy, prim and proper father had even met her, let alone married her." Besides the fact that I love Mitzi, I love the torn feeling that children sometimes have in regard to their parents!

page 162 - (Jodi's flag) - When Joshua and Zeke are talking about Abra, Zeke says, "She knew what we told her about the Lord, Joshua. That's different from knowing Him." Amen! Knowing about and knowing personally are very different.

page 169 - Though this is a work of fiction, there are emotions and scenarios that ring very true. "She looked away. Had Dylan ever loved her, even for a second? She'd only seen lust, sarcasm, and fury. She'd stayed because she was too ashamed to call for help. She'd stayed so she wouldn't have to hear how she'd made her own bed and would have to sleep in it. She'd stayed out of fear. She'd stayed because she didn't know where else to go. She'd stayed for a hundred reasons that made no sense, not even to her. Now, she felt lost. And the feeling had nothing to do with location."

page 201 - (Jodi's flag) how a woman feels wearing attractive undergarments . . . even if no one else sees them . . .

page 275 - I love how the old hymns that Mitzi made her learn come flooding back into her mind! This recurring theme is powerful!

page 367 - When Abra is in the motel room in the dusty desert town, after crying and remembering hymns, she thinks, "You can have it, God. I'm so tired of the fight. Do whatever you want. Burn me to ash. Turn me to a pillar of salt. Wash me away in a flood. I don't want to hurt anymore. I don't want to hurt anyone else. I just want . . . I don't even know." Then she sleeps a deep and peaceful sleep. I love God!

page 383 - (Jodi's flag) When she and Joshua are talking, she says, "I've been such a fool, Joshua." He didn't deny it. "No one sees with eyes half-shut, Abra. Your eyes are open now."

page 430 - I love her breakthrough! "You love me, Lord. In spite of my stubborn and rebellious heart." Then she asks Joshua to baptize her, then and there. Great scene! The joy in the character's entire being is so very evident.

Book club tonight! I look forward to discussing this.

No comments: