Thursday, May 01, 2014

Snapshot

by Lis Wiehl
Hennepin County Library hardcover 274 pages
genre: mystery, historical fiction, drama, relationships

I'm really not in the mood to blog. I like this book and I am glad to be aware of Lis Wiehl as an author. We read this for book club (Spirit of Life Church). Her notes in the back were quite interesting - her father was one of the FBI investigators of JFK's assassination. In this story, the FBI agent takes his young daughter to a civil rights march in Fort Worth a year after JFK's murder. A prominent civil rights leader is shot to death and a black man is arrested and put in jail for the crime. Forty-something years later, this man contacts the FBI agent asking for help to avoid execution. Photographs that the agent took that fateful day and his own conviction that justice was not done lead him to ask his adult daughter to help solve the crime. Lots of twists and turns and interesting characters.

pg 42 - Lisa's friend Drew mentions a vacation in Hawaii. "The image of warm sand and sunshine filled her with longing." I can relate!!! Our weather has been challenging.

ch 10 - I love how the computer geek Gertz helps Lisa and has fun digging up info for her.

pg 115 - When Lisa goes to meet Molly Carter, it makes me sad that her reaction to the church is what some people really feel. ". . . with their schedule, church was far down the list of things to do every Sunday."

pg 153 - She calls her adult son and asks him if she was a good mom (essentially) as she questions her role in his life. He laughs (of course) and says, "My mommy misses me . . . I miss you too. Yes, you hugged me enough. And I love you, mom."

pg 173 - When Molly's family is talking about what it was like to live in fear in the South during the 50s and 60s . . . that is so incredibly hard for me to relate to. I can't fathom having to watch what I say, how I say it, etc. There is so much privilege I've had growing up as a white person in this country in the 60s- now.

pg 242 - I was so afraid that Stanley was going to kill Lena (Madeline)! Especially when he talked the young employee to let him go upstairs without announcing his presence. He was so creepy evil . . . I like how this scene turned out.

No comments: