Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

by Michelle Hodkin
Hennepin County Library hardcover 452 pages
genre: teen paranormal mystery with romance

A freshman highly recommended this book to me and I respect her so much that I had to read it. It was interesting in terms of keeping my interest. The author's language choices were wonderful. The main things I disliked: the occult-oriented focus (ouija board, rooster blood, etc.) and the ending leaving the entire story open-ended. Because Mara has so many hallucinations (and can kill people with her thoughts), it's hard to know what's real and what's not. And I'm a bit curious about what happened to Jamie after he was expelled from school. I kept waiting for Mara to kill Anna and Aiden, but I suppose the author needs them to be the bad guys in the next book. Noah Shaw was a very fascinating male character and I understand why the freshman loves this book so much. There's plenty of desire without actual sex.

No comments: