Friday, February 28, 2014

The Trouble Begins

by Linda Himelblau
Hennepin County Library hardcover 200 pages
genre: YA realistic fiction, immigrant

A student told me about this book and I'm really glad I followed through on getting a copy to read! Du has just come to the United States with his grandmother after eight years in the Philippines, where they were refugees. The rest of the family (Dad, Mom, two sisters, and a brother) have all been in the U.S. for many years and are very achievement-oriented. Du hates it in the U.S. and he hates school and there is so much he doesn't understand.

The author died in 2005 (same year this was published) and that makes me wonder about her . . . did she know she was dying? Did she know her book was being published? I may need to do a little research to find out more! She taught for 13 years in San Diego with many children with many different languages. I hope I can find some copies of this book for PRMS!

No comments: