Sunday, February 02, 2014

Water

an Eyewitness Book
by John Woodward
PRMS hardcover 71 pages
genre: non-fiction

I always thought of these Eyewitness books as "easy" high-interest reads. It has taken me a long time to read through this book! I think part of it for me was the way the factoids had my brain going in so many different directions. Although the theme (water) was unifying, there was information from scientific, historical, and geographical perspectives. A lot of it was information I already knew, but I struggled to keep my brain focused. The layout of paragraphs, pictures, captions, etc. isn't conducive to prolonged, focused reading. Interesting info, but not what I would highly recommend for nonfiction reading. A good reminder for me as I work with middle school students!

It was fascinating to look at in light of the current severe drought in California as well as the historic flooding in other areas. We are spoiled in Minnesota to have an abundance of fresh water.

No comments: