Wednesday, October 19, 2011

You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know

by Heather Sellers
Hennepin County Library audioCDs 10.5 hours
read by Karen White
genre: memoir, dysfunction

Things I liked:
- relationship with parents evolving
- how wonderful Dave was
- writing style (for the most part)

Things I didn't like:
- repetition to the point of ad nauseum (?) boredom
- whiny, self-centered, . . .
- lack of info about her brother (though she explains why at the end)
- people's comments to her about being amazed that she survived her childhood. Hello? Anyone read other memoirs? Although she grew up with severe dysfunction, this is nothing compared to Peltzer's A Child Called It or Walls' Glass Castle.

Miscellany:
- very cool to realize that she teaches at Hope College! I wonder if Chris has had any of her classes.
- makes me realize that my family's issues are really not that bad!

Worthwhile read, but I liked the first half much better than the second half. I hope she gets over herself soon. The face blindness info was interesting until she gave the same spiel for the third, fourth, and fifth times.

No comments: